Ver en Español
Free Case Evaluation Call Now

FOR MEN ONLY: 7 Things You Absolutely Need To Know BEFORE Filing For Divorce in Florida – WATCH VIDEO

Requesting an Abatement for Alimony Payments During COVID-19 Pandemic

Our lives have been turned upside down right now, and the stress and anxiety are mounting. If you are the payor or recipient of alimony, you may be thinking hard about your options and responsibilities in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, especially if your employment circumstances have changed significantly as a result of the crisis.

As you review your spousal support agreement that was put in place during divorce, it’s important to understand whether or not the agreement is modifiable.

If your agreement is non-modifiable, one of your only options is to ask the court for an abatement. An abatement will enable you to delay payments until you are able to go back to work or until your situation changes and you are able to start making money again. Failure to request the court for permission to delay alimony may land you in contempt of court.

If your alimony agreement is modifiable, either because it was negotiated in your agreement or court-ordered, then your alimony may be modified or changed by asking the court for relief and demonstrating that there has either been a change in need or ability to pay.

Failure to comply with your agreement may land you back in court or worse. If you have faced a significant change in circumstances due to the pandemic, don’t wait another moment to talk with us at Vasquez de Lara Law Group about your options.

For more information about family law, tune in daily at 9am ET on our Facebook page for a live stream. We’ll discuss new topics each day as well as answer your questions. Can’t join us live? Be sure to look through our video archives posted on our Facebook page to learn more about important family law issues.

Author Bio

Vanessa Vasquez de Lara is the founder and owner of Vasquez de Lara Law Group, a Miami family law firm. With over 20 years of experience in family law, she has zealously represented clients in various legal matters, including divorces, child support, child custody, alimony, and other family law cases.

Vanessa received her Juris Doctor from the University of Miami School of Law in 2002 and is a member of the Florida Bar Association. She has received numerous accolades for her work, including being named to the 2015 Super Lawyers Rising Stars and the 2016-2023 Super Lawyers list.

LinkedIn | State Bar Association | Avvo | Google