Ver en Español
Free Case Evaluation Call Now

Before filing a family law motion in different county than original, do you have to file for transfer of venue in original?

I understand that supplement motions can be filed in a different county than the original divorce was heard…but do you first have to file a transfer of venue motion in originating county? Is there a time frame? Is two years too long? Thank you for your time.

Supplemental petitions (not motions) are considered new pleadings and can be filed in new counties with no transfer of venue. Therefore it depends on what specific pleading you are filing. An enforcement action needs to take place in the original court, or a transfer is necessary.

Credit by Avvo.com